Sunday, March 8, 2009

How do you know if you are at the end or the beginning ?

I know it's all about perspective...

So tell me: Am I at the beginning or end?

Am I landing or taking off?

Am I jumping up or down?

Am I eating or being eaten?

Am I blocking or being blocked?

Am I docking or lifting anchor?

I'm pretty sure I've taken the road less traveled so far.........

The Road Less Traveled
Robert Frost

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.



And I used to be confident with the path I took. But now?

If it were only this clear (one road in and out)....


There's been a storm brewing for quite awhile now and I need to figure out which way to go.....



My family members are no help. You can see my dilemma, as I get the following advice from Rich:

"Roads start either in the East or South and end in either the West or the North, respectively. Other rules of thumb: Start Southeast; end Northwest; start Southwest; end Northeast."
Say what?

I was never very good at directions. I can't even seem to figure out these GPS systems. I miss what "the voice" is saying, and when I say, "huh?" there is no response.

Why don't those things have a replay button?




One thing I know for sure: I'd rather be skiing.

Okay. I supposes that daydreaming is not helpful. Rewind.

So, what to do? Hopefully, the most recent budget cuts for Louisiana Higher Education (announced at 15% this weekend) will help someone decide something that will have some definitive impact on me. Definitive would be good.

I hope that this is the final number, because if it is a political ploy and is adjusted downward as the legislative session rolls on, I will be furious looking back on what they put us through. I guess it won't matter at that point because I'll either have a job at LSU or not.

My real question is: Are these sorts of tsunamis a "sign" that I should be doing something else? What is life trying to tell me?

2 comments:

  1. So many of us out here are asking ourselves the same question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knows what is going to happen and how we will be impacted? I would rather BE the raging river than be in a little dingy in it; the captain rather than the craft that is piloted. I'm sure the answer is "surrender, you don't get to decide."

    This is my life's lesson I think, and I never quite "get it." So, I have to re-learn it over and over again.

    Thanks willow.

    denese

    ReplyDelete